Last night (thanks to the fine folks at Champion! Magazine) I saw The Avengers.
Initial thoughts: OHMYSWEETSWEETASGARDYES
• Yes, it’s a bit long, but I never felt it until I got out of the theater. The jokes were funny, the banter was fantastic, the egos were massive, and the fights were epic. There’s a real creativity in how the different Avengers (and their various power sets) work together and combine in different attack patterns.
• Hawkeye and Black Widow need their own gritty black-ops S.H.I.E.L.D. movie. Get on that, Marvel.
• A bunch of Whedon alumni show up, including Alexis Denisof, Enver Gjokaj (spelled that right without looking it up, I swear), and Ashley Johnson.
• The 3D is pretty good without being too gimmicky.
• The post-credits scene is a bit of a head-scratcher.
That’s all I’m going to say about it. Keep your expectations right where they are, take a deep breath, and take the plunge to see the movie in theaters this weekend. I know I’ll be paying for a ticket as soon as I can.
Before you get to that theater, check out our episode on the Avengers below (no spoilers, I promise):